Hello! Stratux is a homebuilt ADS-B In receiver for pilots. It's easy to assemble from inexpensive, off-the-shelf hardware, and probably already works with your electronic flight bag (EFB) of choice. Even better, if you're so inclined, the software is open-source and hackable so you can build the system that's right for you.
To get started, order the parts from the shopping list below, plug everything in, and load up the software.
Project contributor Steven Sokol has started a Kickstarter campaign to make Stratux easier and faster to build. He offers support, a case, and all of the parts to build a Stratux for less than ~$40 above the cost of sourcing the parts on your own.
click here for more information.
Shopping List (DIY)
- Raspberry Pi kit (preloaded with Stratux).
- Battery pack.
- Extra RTL-SDR dongle for dual band (978 UAT + 1090ES) traffic reception. (one is included in the above kit if you only need weather).
- GPS (optional): Vk-172 (compact) or Vk-162 (remote mount, better signal)
- Enclosure (optional). NOTE: for use with "nano" sized radios: Stratux Case with Fan, Tinted Acrylic
Loading the Software (to upgrade firmware)
- Download the .zip file, latest linked above.
- Unzip the file. Look for the ".img" file.
- If using Windows, follow instructions for Win32DiskImager.
- If using Mac, download and follow prompts for Pi Filler.
- Stick heat sinks onto Raspberry Pi components and snap together case as specified in the Vilros information booklet.
- Insert EDIMAX WiFi controller into a USB port. NOTE: If you ordered a Raspberry Pi 3 kit, you can skip this step.
- Insert RTl-SDR (NooElec) dongle into a USB port.
- Insert (and secure) the SD card programmed above.
- Power up and connect to the "stratux" WiFi network.
Current Project Status
|‣ Weather (978 FIS-B)|
|‣ Traffic (978 TIS-B)|
|‣ Traffic (1090ES)|
|Serial output (for EFIS connections)|
|AHRS / Synthetic Vision|
|EFB platform support||Status||Details|
|FlyQ EFB (Seattle Avionics) 2.1+ (iOS)||All currently-supported features tested.|
|Naviator (Android)||All currently-supported features tested.|
|AvNav 2.0.0+ (Android)||All currently-supported features tested.|
|ForeFlight 7.x (iOS)||All currently-supported features tested.|
|WingX (iOS, Android)||All currently-supported features tested.|
|Avare EFB (Android)||All currently-supported features tested.|
|FltPlan Go (Android)||All currently-supported features tested.|
|DroidEFB||All currently-supported features tested.|
|AerovieReports||All currently-supported features tested.|
|AvPlan EFB||All currently-supported features tested.|
|iFly GPS 9.4+||All currently-supported features tested.|
|DroidEFB 2.1.1||All currently-supported features tested.|
EAA writeup on Stratux assembly.
Aviation Safety Magazine Article.
Aviation Consumer Magazine Article.
http://slack.stratux.me - stratux Slack "chat". Ask for help or suggest/contribute improvements.
http://www.reddit.com/r/stratux - stratux community. Ask for help or suggest/contribute improvements.
http://www.github.com/cyoung/stratux - latest developments.
http://www.thingiverse.com/groups/stratux/things - 3D printable cases.
AerovieReports - Update Stratux firmware seamlessly on iOS. demo here